Alright, you’ve got a pile of grilled chicken leftover from Memorial Day, right? Here’s a delicious and extremely fast dinner idea to get you over hump day, inspired by my own holiday leftovers.
I visited with my friends from Springer Mountain Farms Chicken at the National BBQ Cup here in Nashville over the weekend and I brought home a big ole to-go box of bbque goodness! CK and I dove in for dinner on Friday night, lunch on Saturday, and we STILL had leftovers. So, I took those perfectly grilled chicken thighs, chopped them up, pour some more barbeque sauce over them, and we were on our way to dinner on Sunday night. I pulled out my barbeque pizza recipe from my 1st book, added in some leftover red onion from the Greek Kabobs, some more bbque sauce, a few shakes of red pepper flakes at the end for some kind and voila! Fresh, hot pizza-no need for delivery- and darn good.
So put it on a pizza stone and grill it or bake it. Either way, it only takes 7-12 minutes for this baby to crisp up, all that yummy cheese to melt, and the bbque sauce to start bubblin’!
- 4 cooked chicken thighs, chopped or shredded ( or 2 large cooked chicken breasts)
- 1 cup thick barbeque sauce
- 1 prepared thin crust pizza crust
- 1/4 cup jarred (or homemade) pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 large purple onion, cut into strips about 2-3 inches long
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Combine chicken meat and 1/2 cup of the barbeque sauce in a small bowl and mix well. If using meat that was boiled, baked or slow cooked, make sure to season chicken with a little garlic powder and salt. If using rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken, you may not need to add any extra seasoning.
- Prepare pizza crust according to package.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining barbeque sauce and pizza sauce and stir. Pour sauce mixture on crust and spread evenly to cover. May add more pizza sauce if desired.
- Sprinkle on mozzarella and cheddar cheeses to cover.
- Add chicken to crust and spread evenly around. Lay slices of purple onion evenly on top.
- Bake according to package directions.
- Slice and serve, sprinkling red pepper flakes on top to taste.