I love shrimp–anything shrimp. Shrimp dip, boiled shrimp, shrimp casserole, fried shrimp, etc. Me and Bubba Gump would have gotten along great. My friend Amy Ausman shared this recipe with me and it is going into the “Favorite Shrimp Recipes” file. It is delicious and perfect for company when you want something fancy, but not difficult or time consuming and one pan!
Amy and her husband Nick owned a fishing lodge in Alaska, and this was a dish she served to her guests all summer long. Thank you, Amy for sharing your great food with me, my friend, and Charlie thanks you too because we love this! Hoping you and your family will as well. Happy Summer 🙂
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (may add more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Montreal Seasoning by McCormick
- 24 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I use Red Gold)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a medium sized bowl and add shrimp. Stir well to blend. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil and saute garlic until it releases its fragrance. Pour in tomatoes and stir to combine. Drop in basil and cook until tomatoes are tender.
- Remove the large garlic chunks from the shrimp marinade, toss in the shrimp, and cook until they are opaque. Do not overcook.
- Serve sauce atop penne pasta and garnish with more fresh basil.