I sometimes pull an outfit from my closet and wear the heck out of it for a short period of time, hoping my schedule is varied enough that I don’t run into the same people wearing that same outfit! This dish is like that. There was time last summer where I was making this at least once a week because I couldn’t get enough of the taste of the fresh ingredients. It’s so easy to prepare and so beautiful on a big pasta platter.
This is the textbook definition of one pan cooking. Throw the shrimp in the same pot as the pasta in the last few minutes of cooking and when you toss it onto a pasta platter, the heat from the pasta mixture will perfectly wilt the spinach.
I love the flavors in this recipe!! Fresh, fresh, fresh. And a meal that you can sit down to enjoy in under 30 minutes. Get the pasta on to boil and chop your tomatoes and basil. Fresh shrimp is always my favorite but frozen, peel and deveined shrimp straight from the freezer is alright in my book. Fresh lemon juice, fresh basil, fresh spinach, fresh tomatoes, and really good Parmesan cheese–yum. Adjust the amount of oil and lemon juice to your taste. I can’t get enough of this. The combination taste so good–the bite of the capers, the zing of the lemon juice marries with the mildness of the shrimp and the pasta. Hope you enjoy as much as I do!
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (may add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded & chopped
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a large stockpot. Add in pasta and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Add shrimp to the pan, bring to a boil again, and cook until shrimp turn pink.
- While pasta and shrimp are cooking, arrange fresh spinach evenly in a pasta platter and set aside.
- Drain pasta and shrimp and while hot, pour both on top of spinach in the platter, covering evenly.
- Sprinkle pasta and shrimp with salt.
- Stir in basil and the next 5 ingredients. Toss well, incorporating the spinach. Add pepper and additional salt to taste. Sprinkle each serving with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.