So you all know I’m an olive convert. Never really liked them or ate them until my friend Clara Ward brought over her Olive Bites for Charlie’s birthday dinner a few years ago. That dish changed my tune about them, so much so that I put the recipe in the cookbook! Love, love, love them.
Well, here is reason number 2 for the olive love fest here at the Kelley house-another Clara concoction and the easiest, meat-less sandwich idea ever. Pecan & Olive Spread–pecans, olives, and creamy cream cheese. That’s it. No fuss, no cooking, no kidding. We went to the beach a few years ago with Clara and Cliff. The “always-prepared-with-something-great” Miss Clara had packed a cooler for the 8 hour journey south and these sandwiches were in there. Let me tell you, we didn’t even make it to Franklin, TN (which is about 20 minutes down the road from the house) before these things were about gone! This is one of my (and Charlie’s) favorite quick summertime, anytime sandwich ideas. And I’m not really a sandwich person. Kinda like I wasn’t really an olive person, but it’s never too late to change, especially when you find something that you love. Hope you love this!
- 1 block cream cheese, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup drained and chopped pimento-stuffed olives (about 20 Manzilla ones)
- Lay cream cheese block in a pie plate and mash with a kitchen fork.
- Sprinkle pecans all over the top and fold in with fork, blending very well. Flatten out with fork once blended.
- Sprinkle on olives and fold in with fork, blending mixture very well. Juice from the olives with aid in the blending.
- Spread onto your favorite bread as a sandwich and store remainder in refrigerator.
- You can also serve this on nice crackers as an appetizer.