During these last few days of unseasonably warm weather, my little basil plants are going crazy! Sprouting up with lots of new leaves and begging me to make some more pesto. So that’s what I did and probably will do for the next few days with the warmer temps and sunny, bright days.
If you can manage to keep pesto in your fridge or freezer–no matter the time of year–you can always whip up a flavorful meal. My pesto recipe is right here. Chicken, pasta, pizza, shrimp, etc.–pesto is an instant flavor boost and when it’s fresh (or fresh out of your freezer), there is nothing like it.
Here’s a idea for hump day for when you’re coming in from a long work day without a plan for supper. You could be enjoying a tasty Italian one-pan little casserole in just about 40 minutes…start to finish!
Start with a can of tomatoes with Italian seasonings, some pesto, and a bag of croutons. Add that to some chopped up chicken breasts, basil leaves, fresh mozzarella, and you’re enjoying a great dinner before the evening news is over!!
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano (I use Red Gold Tomatoes)
- 3 heaping tablespoons homemade pesto or store-bought
- 1 (5-ounce) bag Italian flavored croutons
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 20-24 average-sized fresh basil leaves
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes with pesto and stir to blend.
- Pour in croutons and stir to coat. Let sit for about 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Lay chopped chicken evenly on the bottom and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay basil leaves evenly over chicken and top with sliced mozzarella.
- Spoon tomato, pesto, and crouton mixture on top and spread out evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Cool for about 5 minutes and serve immediately.
- Serve with some steamed broccoli, green peas, or a green salad.