Happy Memorial Day Weekend! This holiday is about honoring the brave men and women of the military who have served our nation. Over the weekend and on Monday, they’ll be many parades and ceremonies all across the country to celebrate our finest. And family and friends everywhere will get together to pay tribute and also to just enjoy each other’s company with cookouts, parties & picnics. So I wanted to offer up a repost from last year that would be a perfect picnic dish–easy to make, easy to transport and so very good!
Pasta salad is a natural summertime side item, but this one is hefty enough to be the main course, too. A BLT anything is delicious in my book–sandwich, pizza, soup, etc. With cheese filled tortellini instead of traditional corkscrew or elbow macaroni, this version gives you some added protein and flavor. Throw in some bacon, tomatoes and spinach and you’ve got most of the major food groups deliciously covered. I pulled some fresh basil out of my little herb garden and I just love that flavor. You can spice this up as much as you want–just go heavy handed on the garlic powder and fresh ground black pepper. Serve it atop a lettuce bed for a pretty presentation or in place of the traditional potato salad right along side the perennial picnic favorites of hot dogs and hamburgers. Wherever you’re traveling to and whatever you’re doing to celebrate the holiday, I hope you and your family have an enjoyable & safe Memorial Day weekend!
- 10 ounce package cheese filled tortellini
- ¼ mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons bacon bits
- 3 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, slice in ½ lengthwise
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- While pasta is cooking, mix mayo, sour cream, basil, spices and 2 tablespoons of bacon bits in a large bowl.
- When pasta is done, drain and put in bowl with mayo mixture while pasta is still hot & mix gently. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Add spinach and tomatoes and mix.
- Sprinkle remaining bacon on dish and serve.