Everybody’s got an easy ground beef skillet dish, right? Well, here’s a mid week dinner or weekend option that I made a couple of weeks ago that satisfied Charlie’s discriminating palate, left us lots of leftovers and was so simple and easy to do!
Ground beef is a life saver when it comes to meal time or if you are vegetarian, soy crumbles or some other beef substitute works great too. I like the best ground beef I can get–lean, ground round, organic. I don’t skimp when it comes to meat. If you’ve got a green pepper and onion (both are always on the weekly grocery list), then this meal is going to come together in moments!
Grab your cast iron dutch oven, and let this workhorse to the heavy lifting. The macaroni noodles cook right in the pot-no boiling them separately-so you’ve only got one pan to wash because that’s how I roll. Add a green salad or some fresh steamed broccoli or green peas, french bread with a little butter, garlic powder and salt sprinkled on top, and you are set! Minimal dish washing, leftovers for lunch or tomorrow night’s dinner, and a tasty, stick-to-your-ribs 30 minute meal– a mid week menu home run!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce ( I use Red Gold)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (may add more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven. Add in ground beef and brown until no longer pink. Remove beef from pan and set aside. Leave drippings in the pan.
- Add in onions, macaroni, and green pepper and stir. Cook over medium heat for about 3 or 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Return meat to pan. Pour in water, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until macaroni is tender, stirring a few times to prevent sticking.
- You can top with a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese if you'd like 🙂