Happy National Meatball Day!! Here’s a recipe that you gotta make on a day like today. All you meatball lovers AND all of you Sriracha hot sauce lovers-this one’s for you. My friends at Red Gold Tomatoes launched a new product last year–they married their delicious ketchup with the Sriracha hot sauce that we all know and love. A match made in condiment heaven and this recipe is the result of that perfect culinary union.
First off, my friends at Red Gold are just the best–good folks AND products. They’ve been doing tomatoes right for over 70 years. A fourth generation family-owned company, they only grow their tomatoes on family farms in the midwest and tomatoes fresh from the field can make it into the can in a matter of hours. I love their flavor and I appreciate their quality. They also have some darn good cooks in their company, as evidenced by this tasty recipe. If you’re looking for some more recipes, check ’em out!
You can make the meatballs up ahead a time and fix the sauce when you’re ready to serve. Or freeze the meatballs and cook up as needed. And yes, these are the ultimate appetizer, but I also think this would also great over some homemade mashed potatoes as an entree.
However you choose to serve them, you’ll love the flavor–a little heat from the famous rooster complimented by the sweetness of the peach preserves. Give this a try and I promise you won’t go back to the frozen meatballs and grape jelly combo we all know.
And Happy National Meatball Day to ya!!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (10 ounce) can Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies , drained very well
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Huy Fong® Sriracha Ketchup
- 1 cup peach preserves
- Mix ground beef, petite diced tomatoes, bread crumbs, salt, black pepper, onion, parsley, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and egg in a bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Form 2 teaspoons of meat mixture into a small meatball. Arrange in a large baking dish or sheet pan. Repeat until all meat is used. (should yield about 25 meatballs)
- Bake in a 375 degree oven until meatballs are browned and cooked through, about 25 minutes or more. Drain excess grease from pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat the Sriracha Ketchup and peach preserves. Stir until the preserves are melted and the sauce is heated through.
- Pour sauce over the meatballs and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until sauce forms a glaze. Keep warm in a slow cooker until ready to serve.
- If you're making a double or triple batch for a party, you can transfer these to a slow cooker and keep warm until ready to serve. For one batch, you can insert small wooden skewers into each meatball and serve directly from the pan. You could also serve the meatballs as an main course over homemade mashed potatoes!