We have a staggering hunger problem here in this land of plenty and Red Gold Tomatoes wants to make a difference in the fight against hunger. One in eight Americans don’t know where their next meal is coming from. That’s 41 million people, including 12 million families and 13 million kids. That’s a lot of Americans facing food insecurity every day and I am happy to share the message of how Red Gold is working to provide 2 millions meals this month.
For every can of Red Gold products sold (or their sister brands Red Pack, Tuttaroso, or Huy Fong) during the month of October, Red Gold will donate a meal to Feeding America, our nation’s largest domestic hunger relief organization. Feeding America is a network of two hundred food banks here in the U.S. and through sixty thousand food pantries and meal programs, they supply meals to upwards of forty six million people.
I was on hand when Red Gold donated a truck load of tomatoes to the Second Harvest Food Bank here in my hometown of Nashville, as well as at the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank down in Louisiana last year after floods devastated the area and this year, so I’ve seen their generosity firsthand and I’m honored to once again play a small part of a huge mission.
Recently, I met up with Food Network Chef Damaris Phillips in Chicago to share the message of Crush Hunger. We filmed several videos in a beautiful kitchen just west of the city with a talented crew and of course, did some cooking. Damaris shared a delicious meatless chili recipe to mark the campaign and I’ve got to tell you, I could not tell that it was a vegetarian dish! She is a really good cook! No wonder she won season 9 of Food Network Star. Read about her shows on Food Network, Cooking Channel, and her new cookbook here.
The day after I returned from Chicago, the campaign cause continued with a visit to my friends at Talk of the Town on NewsChannel 5. I cooked up one of my favorite Red Gold recipes-Tomato Risotto- in honor of the campaign. If you’ve never made risotto, try this recipe because you can make it in about 40 minutes! It’s a perfect side dish, a filling stand alone with a salad and bread and when you cook this dish, you’re providing 2 meals to Feeding America because it calls for 2 cans of Red Gold’s Diced Tomatoes.
So stock up this October on Red Gold Tomatoes and know that while you’re feeding your family a delicious meal made with Red Gold, you’re helping a family in need do the same. Learn more about the campaign at www.helpcrushhunger.com. And check out Red Gold’s website here–they’ve got a lot of great food ideas. Happy Fall and thanks for visiting!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes Basil, Garlic & Oregano, drained
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped basil for garnish
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat a 3 1/2 or 4 quart sauce pan over medium heat.
- Pour in the olive oil and add the onion and garlic when oil is hot.
- Simmer until the onions are transparent.
- Pour in the rice and cook for about 1 minute. Add one can of the tomatoes and pour in 1/4 cup chicken stock. Stir to combine.
- Lower heat to medium low.
- Let simmer, adding 1/4 cup of stock as the rice absorbs each addition.
- Repeat the stock additions until the stock is gone and rice is tender.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, basil, and 2nd can of tomatoes. Season generously with salt and black pepper.
- You can add some more garlic and basil if you'd like! Nothin' wrong with more garlic and basil. Make sure to salt to your taste and use freshly ground black pepper for great flavor. Garnish with chopped basil and parmesan cheese.