Those spring flowers are deceiving. You look outside and see everything blooming, the sun is shining, you start pulling out your short sleeved shirts & flip flops..and then you step outside. Not quite so fast, Miss Spring. Ole Man Winter still has his grips on the temps. Well, at least for today. It’ll be different tomorrow here in Nashville I’m sure, but today, it’s chilly and comfort and ease is what we need as we start reeling in a long work week.
Time to bring out the slow cooker. It’s my friend and my favorite way to cook. It is the ultimate one pan. I’ve had the same slow cooker for over a dozen years. Everything turns out tender in the slow cooker, the flavors meld together beautifully when cooked “slow and low”, and if you throw your ingredients in when you leave for work in the morning, dinner is ready when you walk through the door at 5pm. Now that’s a homecoming! Stress-free and smelling great.
Beef was the stew of choice at my mom’s house growing up, but when I saw a recipe for chicken stew in one of my old cookbooks, I was inspired, so I adapted it to my tastes. Chicken and veggies in a rich, roasted garlic and mushroom gravy. And the ingredients list is short, sweet, and simple: fresh vegetables, chicken, 2 types of mushroom soup (My grandmother used golden mushroom soup in her meatloaf and I love the flavor,) a little onion powder, and that’s it! I loved how it turned out. This passed the Charlie test, too–he had 2 servings the first time I made it, then he ate the leftovers the next day, and that my friends, says a lot. Charlie is NOT a leftovers guy unless it’s tasty.
And when you’re getting the groceries today for this Friday no fuss supper, grab a loaf of fresh baked bread, too. It’s a must for this dish. Something crusty and dense to sop up the delicious gravy!
You’ve worked hard all week. Let the slow cooker take it from here…just come hungry.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large russet potatoes (baker size), peeled and cut into about 1-inch pieces
- 6 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 ounces whole mushrooms, sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of mushroom with roasted garlic soup
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can golden mushroom soup
- Spray the slow cooker pan with non-stick spray. Lay chicken in the bottom of the pan and distribute evenly.
- Add in carrots, then potatoes, celery, and mushrooms. Sprinkle chicken and vegetables with onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour both cans of soup on top and add in 1/2 cup of water to the pan.
- Cover and cook on high for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until vegetables are tender. If cooking all day, turn setting to low & cook until vegetables are tender.