It’s no secret that my favorite way to cook is in the slow cooker. Can’t do without mine. Won’t do without mine. I’ve had the same slow cooker for 13 years now-it was a wedding gift. And it has never let me down–from soups and stews to cake.
As the cold weather continues, here’s a great idea for supper this week-pop everything in your slow cooker before you leave for work and dinner is ready when you come in the door. If you don’t have a slow cooker, get one. It’s a perfect answer for folks who are busy and don’t have a lot of time to spend when you come home after work. The good news is–as you were working all day, so was the slow cooker. So put your lounging clothes on when you come home and sit down to a hot, hearty meal that’s ready for you!! Stay warm out there.
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into chunks
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained ( I use Red Gold)
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can beef broth (low sodium version)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 envelope ( 1¼ ounces) taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
- Mix beef, tomatoes, broth, onions, chili powder and cumin in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for about 9 to 11 hours or until beef is tender.
- Stir in taco seasoning mix and blend well. Add in beans and corn and stir.
- Cover and cook for about 1/2 hour more or until stew thickens up a bit.
- Serve with shredded cheddar or Mexican flavored cheese and sour cream. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired.
- I cook this recipe on high for about 3 to 4 hrs, instead of cooking all day. Also, if you want it spicier, bump up the heat with more chili powder or use a medium or hot version of taco seasoning mix or both! I also like to add to each serving a sprinkle of those little multi colored tortilla strips that you can buy in a package.