I just came back from Cincinnati and the home of a dear friend and Fox 19 Business Spotlight host Kimberly Moening where we cooked up this soup for Red Gold’s Families Helping Families Crush Hunger campaign. Kim and her husband Scott have been friends of mine for many years, so when I saw that I got to work with her on this campaign on TV and in her kitchen, I had the BEST day. Talking about a campaign that is dear to my heart and with a dear friend. Then we sat down and enjoyed a delicious bowl of soup 🙂
Red Gold’s campaign is winding down, but there is still time to stock up and make a difference TODAY! For every can of Red Gold products purchased in the month of Oct., Red Gold will donated one meal to Feeding America. Their goal is 1.7 million meals donated!! With this recipe, you’re adding 2 meals to Feeding America because it uses 2 different Red Gold products. All of the ingredients are pretty much staples in your pantry and it’s ready to eat in about 40 minutes-start to finish. You can add fresh avocado slices to the bowl, as well and you could substitute the pinto beans for black beans, if you like. If you don’t have shoe peg corn, just use kernel corn. Lots of ways to make it your own, but just make it! If you and your family do a taco night already, this is a good cold weather substitute and while you’re sharing a meal with your family, you’re helping a family in need to the same. Together we can all help crush hunger. Stock up on Red Gold today!!
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 or 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 package ranch dressing mix
- 1 package taco seasoning, lower sodium
- 1 (14 ½ ounce) can Red Gold Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can Red Gold Petite Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1 (14 ½ ounce) can beef broth, lower sodium
- 1 ½ to 2 cups hot water
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans w/ jalapenos (you can add an extra can too if desired)
- 1 (8 ounces) can shoe peg corn
- Sauté ground beef, onions and celery in a large stockpot, until beef has browned.
- Add ranch dressing and taco seasoning and stir well.
- Add both cans of tomatoes, beef broth (add more beef broth if using 2 cans of beans) and hot water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes to ½ hour.
- Add beans and shoe peg corn prior to serving and allow to heat through.
- Serve with tortillas chips, grated cheese and sour cream. May also add fresh avocado slices to the bowl.
- You can substitute black beans for the pinto beans. And if you can't find the pintos with jalapenos in them, add some canned or fresh or leave out the jalapenos all together, if there's enough heat for you already. If you don't have shoe peg corn on hand, just use kernel corn.