I could eat eggs for breakfast everyday, but I just don’t have time to fix them everyday. If you’re like me and as my momma says, live a “keeping the road hot” lifestyle, you probably don’t either. And if you do fix them, you may not have time to clean up afterwards. There’s nothing worse than coming home to a dried-up/stuck-on egg pan!
This little recipe did the trick for me! It’s an easy, make-ahead-of-time meal/snack to get you, your spouse and your kids out the door with a delicious, protein-packed, egg breakfast on the go! Make them at the top of the week, refrigerate or freeze and pull them out when you want them. This is just a template because you can create these using any ingredients you want–Mediterranean with olives and feta cheese, Denver-style with onions, green peppers and diced ham. Basically, however you like an omelet is how you can make these muffins. And best of all, once again, only one pan to wash!
- 12 slot muffin tin
- 1 package of precooked real bacon (I like the pieces)
- 1 can mushrooms, drained
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 package Mexican-flavored grated cheese
- 1 package grated cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- Grease the muffin tin thoroughly so that eggs don’t stick! In a container with a pour spout, beat 6 eggs, mix in milk and salt & pepper to taste. Sprinkle a little bacon in each slot of the muffin tin. In ½ of the bacon-filled slots, drop in a little Mexican-flavored grated cheese and in the other ½, drop in cheddar. To the Mexican cheese ones, add a bit of green chilies and sprinkle with cumin (both to taste). To the cheddar ones, add mushrooms. Next, pour a little egg mixture into each slot, filling close to the top of each, but not all the way. Cook in preheated oven at 350 for about 20 minutes or until egg is cooked in the middle. Allow to cool for 2 minutes in the tin and then remove promptly to avoid moisture collecting in the bottom of each. Serve or store in refrigerator. Can be frozen. From the fridge, reheat in microwave for about 20 seconds. From the freezer, microwave for about 1to 1 ½ minutes.